This scorecard reports progress against our Sustainability Action Plan - Good by Nature. Last year, we achieved 74% of our deliverables against the ambitious plan, this represents a significant effort from across the business. This scorecard is an interim resource as we develop our sustainability reporting approach during 2023/24.
Target 5% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (Scope 1+2) in line with a 42% reduction by 2030 from 2020 baseline year.
It was disappointing not to achieve our emissions target for 2022. Our progress was impacted significantly by COVID-19 and supply-chain disruption for key projects. An extended kill season also impacted delivery and increased overall emissions. Our 2023 target is a 16% reduction against 2020 baseline.
Target 5% reduction in tonnes of non-organic waste to landfill at SFF measurable sites against baseline.
Significantly exceeded target across seven measured sites. Our target for 2023 is a 5% reduction from 2022 baseline across all sites.
Target 70% reduction in tonnes of organic waste to landfill from baseline organic waste.
While good progress was made against this target, COVID-19, supply-chain delays, access to labour and resources and resource consent delays hampered full achievement. Our 2023 target is ambitious being an 80% reduction against a 2021 baseline.
Target 4% reduction in water use intensity from baseline.
This target has tracked well in previous years, but in 2022 was impacted by an extended kill season and a significant increase in water use at one processing site. A range of water-saving activities have been identified and our 2023 target is an 8% reduction from a 2021 baseline.
Target 200 Silver Fern Farms suppliers adopt the New Zealand Farm Assurance Programme Plus (NZFAP+).
Strong progress in this area. Target for 2023 is 400 farmers signed up to NZFAP+ and to have completed 200 farm audits.
Key Achievements 2022
Progress by Material Issue
Sustainability Action Plan Priorities 2023
• Expand Scope 3 boundary to include on-farm and transport emissions
• Validate science-aligned targets for Scope 1, 2 & 3
• 16% emission reduction target across Scope 1 and 2 (2020 baseline)
• 400 farmers signed up to NZFAP+
• 8% reduction in water use intensity (2021 baseline)
• Biodiversity and Nature Positive roadmaps in place
• 5% reduction in tonnes of inorganic waste to landfill from all sites (2022 baseline)
• 80% reduction in tonnes of organic waste to landfill (2021 baseline)
• Complete circularity assessments of PPE, packaging and water
PEOPLE & WELLBEING
• All sites have wellbeing plans in place
• Pay equity targets set and on track
• Wellbeing and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion learning modules launched
• Active participation and funding into AgriZero NZ methane reduction joint venture
• Deliver demand led growth model
• Operationalise science research programme
TRUST & CONNECTION
• Top 50 suppliers signed onto Vendor Code of Conduct
• M2X (transport efficiency partner) national rollout completed
• 25% reduction in product claims
COMMUNITY & BELONGING
• 5 youth scholarships and $150,000 invested in regional community initiatives
• Continue rollout of Feed our Whānau programme
• Deliver year 1 commitments under Kai Commitment
TE AO MĀORI
• Cultural progression learning modules rolled out across the business
• Mana whenua engagement plans in place
• Work programme underway to ensure mātauranga Māori is considered and appropriately reflected in design of Silver Fern Farms’ approach to nature positive